OK, before you get upset at my lousy diet, I had a great big green salad with tomatoes and cucumbers and asparagus, ‘kay?
But tonight was meant for leftovers! Actually, I deliberately made leftover potatoes this morning: I peeled and cut up two potatoes and cooked them so I could use them for dinner. I only used one potato: the other one will be used later in the week.
Friday night I did a slooooooow braise of a Boston Butt pork roast. I put in a Dutch oven:
- 5lb pork roast salted and peppered, then browned on all sides
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into 2″ lengths(those vegetable ingredients I sautéed in the pot after I removed the browned roast)
Then I added:
- 1 can of Guinness beer
- 2 peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 peeled and chopped parsnips
- 2 bay leaves
- and about 750ml of water, until the roast was almost submerged.
Bring to a boil on the stove, transfer to slow oven for 5 hours. So I fork-separated and had some pulled pork off the roast tonight together with the potatoes, and that yummy cheese.
First the potatoes in the cast-iron frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil and a knob of butter. Eventually add the pork (it just needs to warm up). Shortly after, some cheese. Don’t try to grate the cheese like I did: just crumble it in your fingers.
Yummy one-pan meal. Hash browns and pulled pork with apple-cinnamon cheese.
That’s a cheese with potential. I can see doing a bunch of things with it. Like a grilled cheese sandwich!